! Call 911 in case of crisis or emergency

In Case of Emergency

Campus security services are provided by Concord Security Corporation on a 24-hour basis. The security office (HL 128) is located on the first floor of the Brown Family House of Learning Building. On-duty security staff can be contacted by calling 250-828-5033 (5033 from campus). In case of emergency requiring police, fire or ambulance, call 911.

Phone Number: 250 828-5033
Location (on Campus): HL 128
Hours: 24 hours
Website Link

On-campus Resources

TRU Counselling Services

Is a personal problem interfering with school performance or your life in general? Try talking to a professional counsellor. We provide short-term, confidential (and free) individual counselling that is focused on finding solutions and taking action.

Drop-in counselling is available for students in crisis situations; otherwise, an appointment is necessary. If we are not able to provide you with the help you need, we may refer to you to a more specialized community resource.

Contact Information:
Location (On Campus): Old Main 1631
Phone Number: 250-828-5023
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm
Website Link

TRU Medical Clinic

The clinic provides a full range of medical services, vaccinations and annual flu clinics.

Contact Information:
Location (On Campus): Old Main 1461
Phone Number: 250-828-5126
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4pm
Website Link

TRU Interfaith Chaplaincy

Description: The chaplaincy provides religious and spiritual care to the TRU community. A multi-faith room offers a private and quiet space to reflect, pray and meditate.

Contact Information:
Location (On Campus): Old Main 1421
Phone Number: 250-371-5940
Hours: Reach individual chaplains by email, or view the multi-faith space room calendar posted on the door at Old Main 2494
Website Link

TRU Wellness Centre

The Wellness Centre offers support for a variety of issues including stress, nutrition and sleep. A variety of events and initiatives throughout the year address these issues and more. The Wellness Centre is a quiet place to hang out, read a book, have a cup of tea, or ask questions about health and wellness.

Contact Information:
Location (On Campus): Old Main 1479
Phone Number: 250-828-5010
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4pm
Website Link

Yoga, Health, and Fitness

Campus fitness classes

A variety of free fitness classes, including circuit and strength training, stretching and toning, as well as yoga and Zumba.

Contact Information:
Location: Fitness studio in the lower level of the TRU Gym
Phone number: 250-828-5271
Email contact: campusrec@tru.ca
Website Link

Campus Intramurals

Campus Recreation offers a variety of non-competitive, leisure team sports in the TRU Gym. Teams include indoor soccer, basketball, volleyball and floor hockey. Join a team or create your own.

Contact Information:
Location: TRU Gym
Phone number: 250-828-5271
Email contact: campusrec@tru.ca
Website Link

Tournament Capital Centre (TCC)

This city facility, adjacent to the campus, includes an aquatic centre, indoor fieldhouse, outdoor track/stadium, wellness centre/gym and athletic performance centre. Sage physiotherapy clinic is also located in the TCC.

Contact Information:
Location: TCC, 910 McGill Road, Kamloops
Phone number: 250-828-3655
Hours: Monday to Friday, 5:30am to 11pm, Sat-Sun. 6:30am-9:30pm
Website URL

Community Resources

Kamloops Mental Health and Substance Use Services

The community mental health centre provides a number of services, including individual counselling, group counselling, and urgent response. Call or drop in to book an initial intake appointment.

Contact Information:
Location (Address): 235 Lansdowne Street, Kamloops
Phone number: 250 377-6500
After Hours Urgent Response: 250 377-0088
Website Link

Canadian Mental Health Association

Contact Information
Location (Address): Kamloops Branch – 857 Seymour Street
Phone number: 250 374-8717
Email: Kamloops@cmha.bc.ca
Website Link

Provincial Resources

Interior Crisis Line

The Interior Crisis Line Network is available 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, 365 days/year. The Crisis Line provides short term emotional support, resources, crisis management, and suicide prevention and intervention.

Contact Information:
Location (Address): N/A
Phone number: 1 888 353 CARE (2273)
Website Link

310 Mental Health Support Line
Crisis 24 hours: 310-6789 [no area code required]

Province-Wide (BC)

Please note that there are specific free Crisis Prevention Centres or Crisis Lines in every region of BC

Crisis 24 hrs: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
Website Link www.crisislines.bc.ca

Canadian Association for Suicide Prevention
Phone number: 204-784-4073

Academic Accommodations

What is Disability Services?

TRU Disability Services is a unit housed within Student Services (Old Main Room 1631) which is committed to providing reasonable services and accommodations for students with disabilities, enabling students to integrate into the university environment and achieve their potential for success as self-directed, independent learners.

What is a disability?

According to the BC Ministry of Advanced Education, a disability is defined as a “permanent disability”, which means: “a functional limitation caused by a physical or mental impairment that restricts the ability of a person to perform the daily activities
necessary to participate in studies at a post-secondary school level or labour force and is expected to remain with the person for the person’s expected life.” Temporary accommodations may be provided to those students who experience temporary
disabling issues: i.e. longer term recovery from an injury or surgery.

When should a student register with Disability Services?

Students should register before classes begin, as early as possible. Ideally this will be at least 3 months before the start date of the course or program. This is because it can take time to review medical information and develop an accommodation plan.

What is needed to register with Disability Services?

Students who require services and/or accommodations must provide Disability Services with current documentation of their medical condition/disability. Students with Learning Disabilities are required to provide a Psychological-Educational Assessment.
For all other medical conditions/disabilities, acceptable documentation must be obtained from a certified health care professional who has specific training, the appropriate professional designation, and expertise in the diagnosis of conditions for which the accommodations(s) is being requested and must speak to the “functional impact” of the disability.

This information is used by the staff to develop appropriate accommodations for the student.

What are accommodations?

Accommodations are designed to level the playing field so students can meet the essential requirements and succeed on their own merits. Accommodations do not guarantee success; it involves the removal of barriers (physical or instructional).
Accommodations do not usually involve modification of curriculum or evaluation; a student must still meet the learning objectives and essential requirements of the course. Examples include adaptations or alterations to the physical and/or
instructional environment, alternate formats and methods of communication, the use of adaptive technology and adaptations to the examination environment.

There are limits to accommodations. The University has an obligation to make the necessary efforts to reasonably accommodate a student with a disability, but, at times, due to the nature and degree of the disability, no reasonable accommodation would enable a student to fulfill the essential requirements and therefore, they cannot be accommodated.

Disability Services works in conjunction with the Faculty of Law. Please contact the Associate Dean of Law for more information on process and deadlines.

Disability Services Office Contact Information:
Location (Address): Thompson Rivers University, Old Main room 1631, 900 McGill Road, Kamloops, BC, V2C 0C8
Phone number: 250-828-5023, toll-free 1-888-828-6644
Email contact: dso@tru.ca
Website Link